Tuesday 26 November 2013

Daily Spiritual Habits :)

I have just got back from 'Youthwork Conference 2013,' a weekend of training for youth workers all across the United Kingdom, set in sunny Eastbourne (yes youth doesn't exactly come to mind when I think of Eastbourne either!) My next few blogposts will no doubt be heavily influenced by what I learnt over the weekend and one thing which was discussed in a seminar I went to, was the view of daily spiritual routines- elements to help you connect with God on a daily basis. In the seminar these were described at 'The Three Ss.' These three elements are - Simplicity -Surrender and -Solitude. In this Blogpost I will discuss what is meant by simplicity and how it can have a positive impact on our personal and spiritual lives.

Simplicity

Defined as the state or quality of being simple and can be used to imply beauty, purity or clarity. According to St Thomas Aquinas God is 'infinitely simple' and the Franciscan order of the Roman Catholics and Anglicans strive after simplicity in all areas, following the example of St Francis

So what does simplicity look like in a person?
I cannot think of an individual who represents this quality of simple spirit more than Mother Teresa. An individual who left home at 18 to become a nun, who often had to beg and go without food, shoes and shelter in order to serve those people in Calcutta that were at the very bottom of the heap pile. She gave up everything, thrusting herself into extreme poverty. She is also arguably the best example of Jesus there has ever been, apart from Jesus himself of course!



The life of a monk or nun has never appealed to me. Living in a secluded area, with no personal possessions and/or personal identity seems to me, an extroverted people person, like a complete nightmare. Though I think the life they lead is very admirable I've always thought, absolutely not my cup of tea! Whilst this remains true, perhaps these men and women who simplify their lives down to the barest essentials and live in communion with God and to serve others have something that can be passed onto all of our lives. We live in a period of history which just LOVES material possessions! How much 'stuff' do we own? I know personally I am a huge fan of clutter, and having posters and nicknacks all around my room makes me feel cozy and safe in my room. But if I think about that for a second...how ridiculous is that?! Do we have a tendency to place our emotions/self-worth/moods/feelings on our material possessions instead of trusting in God?
Does this also transfer into a less practical means but also our spiritual lives? What junk needs to be cleared out and does anything need to be simplified?

As it says in Matthews 18:4 when Jesus discovered the
 'Anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.'
What elements of simplicity does a child have which we as autonomous adults might be able to adopt into our daily lives?
-Being Thankful. 
In my opinion, children are always very appreciative and often the smallest present is like THE coolest thing in the world. I know often I begin to take for granted everything that is given to me by God. 
Yes, an individual prayer of mine hasn't been answered yet BUT do I thank God on a daily basis for the air I breathe or for my family or that I am healthy and happy?
In Psalm 92:2 it says: 'Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song,' but do we earnestly do that on a daily basis? Or does prayer tend to become a wishlist of what we would like to happen next? 

- A clear sense of purpose. 
Children are very goal focused. Teaching the trumpet has taught me this. If my pupils have a grade or a concert to aim towards their practise and commitment to the trumpet sky rockets. If they have no immediate reason to commit, they will often avoid the trumpet or go off and watch The Simpsons instead. 

Do we also have this ability to forget our purpose?
In Philippians 3:14 it  says: 
'I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.'
Do we always remember we need to keep running and not stop? Or do we sometimes see an interesting shop on the way and go and have a look? 
I know recently I have decided on clear manageable focuses in my relationship with God. Maybe I want to improve my knowledge of the Psalms or I want to pray for a situation until something changes. Either way,a clear purpose to my daily walk is so important.

-The need to be focused.
Now, I volunteer for a local primary school year 3 class and I know that in order for any of the children to do a good amount of work they NEED to be focused, much like with our walk
of faith. However, like adults these children will often find a few distractions to be able to focus on instead of their work. One of the children in chatting about seeing 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2' or one child is kicking their chair, whatever it is vying for their attention, if they do not focus work slowly slips down on their agenda. 
Do we also have the ability to be distracted in our daily lives?
What vyes for our attention?
It says in Psalm 121, 
'I lift my eyes up to the mountains, where does my help come from? My help comes from you maker of heaven, creator of the earth.'
Are our eyes fixed on the mountains or do they look around us and get distracted by what's going on around us?

I have found when I have started each day with a small prayer asking God to help me focus on him through the day this has kept me focused on his plan and purposes for my day and life. 

Hopefully this has helped you explore the aspect of simplicity and given you a few practical ideas to keep your focus on God and not on what's around us. I know I am the worst for being distracted by what's around me and I continue to try and zone in and listen to the divine not the world.
Peace out. :) <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment